This sterling silver dinner bell was donated to the Fleming Museum by Maria Mace of Rutland, VT in 1938. Dinner bells were commonly used in the early twentieth century to signify the start of a meal. The bell is made of sterling silver and has the initials "ESD" engraved in slanted, cursive writing. It is approximately 10.2 cm high, 2.5 cm wide at its widest point, and has a 7.9 cm circumference at the opening. The entire bell is very tarnished, except around the engraving.
Gift of Maria Mace
Fleming Museum, University of Vermont
Late 19th century to early 20th century
Digital Image, JPEG
19th or 20th century Europe or America
About the Original Item
- Date Added
- March 13, 2013
- Fleming Museum
- Anonymous, “Dinner Bell,” Omeka@CTL, accessed August 4, 2020, http://ctl.w3.uvm.edu/omeka/items/show/837.
- Associated Files